Saturday, May 23, 2026

Oman News

Taxi Oman

Image for representative purpose only — Photo by Shutterstock

No coronavirus cases reported in Oman: Ministry of Health

Ministry of Health is closely watching the situation after four cases were reported in the neighbouring UAE.

Taxi Oman

TAS News Service

info@thearabianstories.com

Thursday, January 30, 2020

Muscat: There are no cases of the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) reported in Oman so far, according to the Ministry of Health (MOH).

The statement from MOH comes after four cases were reported in the neighbouring UAE. In a statement issued on Wednesday, MOH said it is closely monitoring the virus which has so far infected 6,000 people and claimed 132 lives in China.

Earlier, His Excellency Dr. Ahmed bin Mohammed Al Saeedi, Minister of Health, urged both Omanis and expats to travel to China only if necessary. “As the virus is spreading rapidly, we advise people to travel to China only if necessary,” he said.

The virus has now spread to 18 other countries with 80 suspected cases reported in countries including Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Macau, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Japan, Nepal, Cambodia, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Australia, the US, Canada, Germany and France.

On Wednesday, UAE confirmed the first cases in the Middle East of the deadly coronavirus, saying that doctors were treating a family that had recently come from a city at the centre of the outbreak.

The UAE’s Ministry of Health said on Wednesday it had diagnosed the coronavirus in a four-member Chinese family. 

“All family members are in stable condition and the situation was contained by following the most necessary precautionary measures adopted globally when dealing with infected cases.”, the ministry said in a statement carried by the state news agency WAM.

Close