Tharoor was weighing himself on a giant scale as part of a ritual called Thulabharam in which a devotee sits on a scale against a mound of offerings like fruit and sweets.
The weighing balance, however, fell down and Tharoor suffered injuries to his head and leg.
According to reports, he has suffered a deep injury on his head leading to eight stitches.
- It’s not over yet: Oman’s Health Minister urges people to continue adhering to COVID-19 preventive measures
- Oman lifts ban on events, exhibitions, sports activities
- Explained: Fully vaccinated worshippers allowed entry for Friday prayers in Oman mosques
- Friday prayers to resume across Oman mosques
- COVID-19: Oman records 114 new cases, 1 death in 3 days
Tharoor, who is Thiruvananthapuram Lok Sabha Congress candidate, is aiming for a hat-trick of win.
As part of Vishu, new year celebration in Kerala, Tharoor had gone to the temple in between the poll campaign.
Tharoor is engaged in a tough three-way electoral battle with former Mizoram Governor Kummanem Rajasekheran of BJP and CPI’s C. Divakaran, a sitting legislator and former state Minister.
In the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, Tharoor scraped through with a margin of around 15,000 votes against BJP’s O. Rajagopal, who is now a MLA.