Washington: Acting US Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan announced on Monday the deployment of about 1,000 more troops to the Middle East for what he said were “defensive purposes,” citing concerns about a threat from Iran.
“The recent Iranian attacks validate the reliable, credible intelligence we have received on hostile behavior by Iranian forces and their proxy groups that threaten United States personnel and interests across the region,” Shanahan said in a statement.
Reuters first reported plans to send US additional troops to the Middle East earlier on Monday.
Read More
- Heavy rains sweep across North Al Sharqiyah, wadis flow in several Wilayats in Oman
- Oman, Türkiye review growing ties and regional developments
- Oman’s RO 6 million Automobile City Project in Salalah reaches 45% completion
- Oman to host GCC history and archaeology forum in Dhofar with over 180 experts
- More than 33,000 students secure higher education offers in Oman’s first admission round
Fears of a confrontation between Iran and the United States have mounted since last Thursday when two oil tankers were attacked, more than a year after President Donald Trump announced Washington was withdrawing from a 2015 nuclear deal.
Iran said on Monday it would soon breach limits on how much enriched uranium it can stockpile under the deal, which a White House National Security Council spokesman said amounted to “nuclear blackmail.”





