MUSCAT: Faulty road designs and unclear road signs may have been the part reason behind the Dubai bus crash that claimed the lives of 17 passengers last year, according to a technical report submitted to the appeal court revealed.
The Mwasalat bus from Oman crashed into an overhead height restriction at the turn off from Mohammad Bin Zayed Road leading onto Rashidiya Road, where it was due to make a scheduled stop at Rashidiya Metro.
A 53-year-old Omani driver, who drove the bus, was charged of causing the wrongful death of 17 passengers and injuring 13 others, was sentenced to seven years in jail and was ordered to pay Dh3.4 million in blood money to the families of the victims by Dubai Traffic Court in July last year.
Read More
- Oman warns of up to 3 years in jail, RO 5,000 fine for exploiting children, domestic workers in social media content
- Oman suspends all paragliding activities after fatal Dhofar accident
- Oman Customs details duty reductions and trade benefits under India CEPA
- Oman Maritime Security Centre urges boat passengers to follow safety measures
- Oman Human Rights Commission urges public to follow water safety guidance during oil spills
However, according to a technical report submitted to the Court of Appeal on Thursday, said that a lack of proper signage could have caused the accident. The report also said there were no height and speed warnings signs that could have alerted the driver. “There were no signs to warn that there was a low-height barrier, and the speed limit of 60kph was not reduced until after the low-height flyover,” read the report.
The report comes after the court appointed experts to assess the safety of the road. The cases has been adjourned.
Twelve Indians, two Pakistanis, an Irish, Omani and Filipina, were killed in the accident.





