Muscat: The bodies of the Indian victims in Dubai’s bus crash on Thursday are to be flown home for free in cases where their families do not get immediate support from their employers.
The Consul General of India in Dubai Vipul told Gulf News on Saturday morning that the remains of the Indian victims will be repatriated free of cost by Air India if employers don’t offer aid.
The Consul General also thanked Dubai Police and all hospital authorities for their support.
Twelve Indians were among the 17 people killed in a horrific bus accident in Dubai when the vehicle, coming from Oman, rammed into a low-clearance sign.
Nine persons were seriously injured when the driver of the bus, belonging to the Omani bus transport company Mwasalat, wrongly entered a road not designated for buses towards Al Rashidiya metro station in Dubai on Thursday, according to the Gulf News.
“It was a tragic accident [that] caused death to innocent people. Drivers should pay attention while driving as minor mistakes or negligence [can] lead to fatalities just like this bus crash incident, which caused death to 17 passengers from different nationalities,” said Major General Abdullah Khalifa Al Merri, Commander-in-Chief of Dubai police.
Meanwhile, Major-General Mohammad Saif Al Zafein, Head of the Federal Traffic Council and Assistant to the Dubai Police Chief for Operations Affairs, said that Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) put all precautionary measures on the road with signboards, but the driver’s mistake was fatal.
“Dubai police had extensive efforts to reduce death rates in 2019. The reduction was 40 per cent in the first half of this year, compared to last year, but the bus crash incident will damage those efforts because of a driver’s mistake,” Maj Gen Al Zafein said.
According to CGI in Dubai, formalities for remaining 2 persons should get done tomorrow morning.
“After this, with full documentation mortal remains will be sent for embalming & then to India,” he tweeted.
The accident took place at Sheikh Muhammad Bin Zayed road on Thursday around 5.30 pm.
Gulf News reported that Ahmad Hashem Bahrozyan, the CEO of the Public Transport Agency at RTA, and other senior officials from RTA, along with officials from Oman National Transport Company Mwasalat, also visited Rashid Hospital on Friday.
“It is a very big tragedy. It is very unfortunate that it happened just a few minutes before they reached the bus station. The driver took a wrong turn. Instead of turning to the bus station, he took the road that goes to the parking where buses are not allowed,” said Bahrozyan.
He said the Dubai-Muscat and Muscat-Dubai bus service run by Mwasalat remained suspended. “Mwasalat will announce the resumption of the service once the investigation is over.”