Abu Dhabi: Often, the current Pope is praised for his humbleness. And proving it once again that he doesn’t believe in showiness, he entered the United Arab Emirates President’s Palace ground in a humble Kia Soul, which costs only $17,000.
The videos of Pope’s Kia being escorted by white SUVs, black BMWs, horse-mounted guards, soldiers in green uniforms holding machine-gun, to the UAE President’s Palace in Ras al Akhdar peninsula in Abu Dhabi, has created curiosity among the viewers.
The Soul, by Korean manufacturer Kia, sells from around AED 52,000 in the UAE.
- Computer engineering student to develop first Yoga app in Oman
- HerStory Season 2: No matter the challenges, every child is a blessing from God, says Sabah Al Farsi
- World Book Day: Celebrate the joy of reading
- TAS Morning Show|Can expats with new visas come to Oman? Here’s what ROP says
- TAS Morning Show: Is pandemic related anxiety on the rise in Oman?
It is cheaper than the Sportage and is the second smallest car in Kia’s range.
This isn’t the first time the pontiff has been seen in a Soul. In August 2014, ‘the people’s pope’ was driven in one when travelling around South Korea, and again in 2015 in Uganda.
On Sunday night, when Pope Francis arrived in the UAE – marking the first time a pope has ever visited the Arabian Peninsula – he was seen leaving Abu Dhabi Presidential Flight in a white van.
He was joined by Dr Ahmed Al Tayeb, Grand Imam of Al Azhar and Chairman of the Muslim Council of Elders.