Washington: The talks follow the signing of the Islamabad Memorandum of Understanding on June 18, which set out a 60-day framework for Washington and Tehran to negotiate a broader agreement covering Iran’s nuclear programme, sanctions relief, maritime security and regional de-escalation.
According to diplomatic sources quoted by Dawn, Pakistan and Qatar are continuing to mediate the process, with Islamabad emerging as the most likely venue for the next round of technical discussions. Switzerland’s Burgenstock resort is also being considered, although a final decision has not yet been announced.
The negotiations were temporarily delayed by multi-day funeral ceremonies for Iran’s late Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who was killed on February 28 during joint US-Israeli air strikes on Tehran. Burial ceremonies are scheduled to be held in Tehran and Qom until July 7, while the final burial is expected to take place in Mashhad on July 9.
Read More
- Imran Khan returned to jail after court-ordered hospital checks, declared medically fit
- Mirza Fakhrul wins Bangladesh presidency in historic vote, elected 23rd President
- Britain condemns Israeli settlement tender in West Bank
- Four rare renaissance paintings stolen from Italian museum
- Bangladesh votes in first contested presidential race in 35 years
Iran is expected to announce the composition of its delegation after the ceremonies conclude.
Diplomatic sources said the July 11 meeting will focus on Iran’s nuclear programme, possible sanctions relief and the release of Iranian assets frozen abroad. The discussions are also expected to address regional security concerns, particularly freedom of navigation through the Strait of Hormuz and the preservation of the recently agreed ceasefire in Lebanon.
The renewed engagement comes after indirect technical discussions in Doha earlier this week. US President Donald Trump described the talks as “very good”, while Iranian officials said there had been an understanding on the partial release of billions of dollars in frozen Iranian assets.
US officials, however, reportedly denied that any agreement on the release of funds had been finalised.
Mediators from Qatar and Pakistan have continued indirect contact between the two sides during the pause in negotiations, with efforts centred on protecting maritime routes through the Strait of Hormuz and maintaining the 60-day ceasefire agreed during the June talks in Switzerland.
The latest high-level negotiations at the Burgenstock resort produced what negotiators described as a roadmap towards a wider agreement. Marathon sessions reportedly covered nuclear restrictions, sanctions relief, maritime security and regional de-escalation, though officials cautioned that progress remains fragile amid persistent tensions between Washington and Tehran.
Officials familiar with the process said the next round of high-level direct talks is expected to take place in Doha during the third week of July, after technical teams complete work on the finer details of a possible agreement.





