MUSCAT: The Oman Football Association has officially reported Sri Lankan referee Hitikamkanamji Pereira to Fifa and Asian Football Confederation (AFC) after he canceled a team goal in the 90th minute of Oman’s crucial 2022 World Cup and 2023 Asian Cup match against Qatar on Monday.
In a statement issued, OFA said it has asked authorities to conduct an investigation into the matter.
The referee’s decision has sparked widespread anger among the Omani fans, considering that the goal was correct.
- Oman records 41 deaths, more than 2,000 new Covid cases in 24 hours
- 18% of Oman’s population receives COVID-19 vaccine
- Three more commercial establishments violate Covid-19 rules in Oman
- Oman’s Supreme Committee to hold press conference on June 24
- Oman Sail to host 50th edition of World Youth Sailing Championships
The Omani tweeters described the refereeing of the Oman-Qatar match as “a scandal”, calling the Omani Football Association to take a stand.
Qatar won the match 1-0 at the Jassim Bin Hamad Stadium to seal top spot in Group E of the Asian Qualifiers.