MUSCAT :Oman’s coronavirus cases have crossed 95,000 in the last seven months including 885 deaths. Over the last three weeks, the country has witnessed a surge in Covid-19 cases but what could be the reason?
Health authorities and government officials around the country are echoing the message of social distancing and the need to avoid crowds but many people are actively ignoring warnings and continue to gather.
“We know there are groups that are gathering on beaches, farms and having parties, attend weddings and funerals without masks and physical distance. What is the end result? The number of cases are going up,” said Dr. Ahmed Al Saidi, Minister of Health.
Ever since the pandemic, the Supreme Committee has banned all types of gatherings and those found organising it will be slapped with a fine of OMR 1,500, while those taking part will face a fine of OMR 100.
On Sunday, a group of people was arrested for gathering and for holding an event in North Al Batinah. Last week, a group of 60 people violated the Supreme Committee decisions and gathered in a farmhouse in Al Dakhiliyah Governorate. In another case, a restaurant owner in Muttrah is facing legal trouble after he organised a night party without taking permits. “By doing these some people are completely disregarding the rule and putting others at risk,” said a top Ministry of Health official.
The recovery rate has significantly dropped from 94% to 90%. The total recovery now stands at 86,765.
“The number of cases are going up and the blame is on the government. No, the government did all they have to do and the responsibility is now on you to stand together to fight this,” Al Saidi said.
“We need to feel the responsibility. We are in this together. None of us is safe until all of us are safe. And our country will not be safe until all of us are safe,” Al Saidi added.
Liked this story? We’ll send you more. Subscribe to TAS newsletter and get stories delivered to your inbox. Click to get started.