MUSCAT: FIFA is considering Oman and Kuwait as hosts of some matches at the 2022 World Cup if the tournament, to be staged in Qatar, is expanded from 32 to 48 teams, the New York Times has reported.
The World Cup will be expanded from 32 to 48 teams in 2026 but FIFA president Gianni Infantino has proposed bringing forward the enlarged format to 2022. FIFA President Gianni Infantino was in Muscat on Sunday for a two-day visit.
A decision is expected in June, although FIFA has already warned it would be difficult for Qatar to stage an expanded tournament alone.
- Submit VAT returns on time to avoid fine: Tax Authority
- VAT in Oman: Submit returns on time to avoid penalties, says Tax Authority
- Over 1.5 million vehicles registered till June 2021 in Oman
- UAE to allow fully vaccinated expat residents from India, Pakistan to return
- Expat arrested for stealing money in Oman
Qatar has said it will not take a decision on expanding the tournament until it sees the details of a feasibility study from FIFA while a deep political rift in the Gulf complicates the prospects of sharing the competition.
The UAE’s sports chief, Mohammed Khalfan al-Romaithi, said last month that his country, Kuwait and Oman could all stage matches in an enlarged tournament.
However, he said it would only be possible for the UAE to host games if the dispute with Qatar was settled.
The story will be updated as The Arabian Stories gets a comment from Oman football body.