Tuesday, August 03, 2021

Oman News

Oman Latest News : Bomb Blast: Oman issues Lanka travel advisory

Bomb Blast: Oman issues Lanka travel advisory

207 dead, including, 35 foreigners.

Oman Latest News : Bomb Blast: Oman issues Lanka travel advisory

info@thearabianstories.com

Sunday, April 21, 2019


Oman’s foreign ministry has issued a Lanka travel advisory following the six  bomb blasts which has claimed 207 lives so far in the island nation.

Condemning the attack, the Oman foreign ministry tweeted that they are in touch with the Oman embassy in Colombo.

“Omanis in Lanka are advised to remain safe and to avoid crowded places,” the tweet read.

The Oman ministry also has shared two numbers, 0094112301278 and 0094112301279, for those who need assistance in Colombo.

Sri Lankan churches and hotels were hit by six explosions on Easter Sunday, wounding several people, police sources said.

According to reports, 207 people are dead and 450 injured. The death toll also includes 35 foreigners.

As per police spokesperson, two blasts took place, hours later. Sri Lankan government has declared curfew. It is not clear till when the curfew will be implemented. Temporary ban on social media imposed as well.

The three hotels hit are the Shangri-La Colombo, Kingsbury Hotel in Colombo and the Cinnamon Grand Colombo and the three churches are in Colombo, Negombo and Batticaloa.

The seventh blast was reported in Dehiwela, near the capital. Colombo National hospital said several wounded had been brought in for treatment.

Sri Lanka Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe said, “I strongly condemn the cowardly attacks on our people today. I call upon all Sri Lankans during this tragic time to remain united and strong. Please avoid propagating unverified reports and speculation. The government is taking immediate steps to contain this situation.”

St. Sebastian’s church at Katuwapitiya in Negombo posted pictures of destruction inside the church on its Facebook page, showing blood on pews and the floor, and requested help from the public.

There were no immediate claims of responsibility.

The wave of bombings began around 8:45 a.m., and targeted Catholic houses of worship — St. Sebastian’s Church in Negombo, St. Anthony’s Shrine in Colombo and Zion Church in Batticaloa — along with the luxury hotels the Shangri-La, the Cinnamon Grand the Kingsbury.

Seven suspects were arrested in connection with the bombings, Sri Lanka’s state defense minister, Ruwan Wijewardene, said. He said that suicide bombers had been behind the explosions.

Covid-19-updates
Close